This weekend our family had the bad luck of having a nasty bout of the stomach flu. After much suffering, I was starving, but nothing looked good to me in the fridge. I decided to throw together this wonton soup and it was surprisingly delicious! It is days like these that I am grateful for a well-stocked pantry and freezer. This wonton soup is quick and really easy. You really can add more or less of any of the ingredients for your taste preferences.
I love the taste of ginger, but don’t really care for the texture of it in soups. My microplane grater has become my secret weapon for a slick way to grate ginger, garlic, onions, or any other aromatic that needs to be incorporated into recipes without having big chunks. For this recipe I used it to grate the ginger into the soup so that I had the kick of flavor without the texture.
These frozen wontons have become one of my favorite freezer staples. My 3 year old son absolutely loves them and they are so versatile! Most often I cook them as potstickers in my Lodge cast iron pan, but they are great for asian salads, soups, and many other meals. They were perfect for this recipe since I did not have the time or energy to make the wontons by hand.
This specific brand is from Costco. It comes in a nice big bag and is fairly inexpensive. I like that they are all natural and do not have a ton of scary ingredients or preservatives. We have been trying to eat less processed foods because it is amazing how much nasty stuff is hidden into otherwise simple meals!
Without further ado, here is the recipe! It is very flexible. Feel free to add more or less of your favorite ingredients. It would be yummy to add some asian greens like bok choy, too!
- One Tablespoon sesame oil
- One Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 cloves garlic, diced
- A lot (about 2 Tablespoons) grated ginger
- 2 cups dried shiitake mushrooms (you can use fresh, too)
- 8 cups chicken broth
- A splash of soy sauce, to taste
- A splash of chili oil, to taste
- A splash of rice vinegar, to taste
- 4 green onions, diced
- A good amount of pre-made frozen wontons
- Sauté the grated ginger and diced garlic in the sesame and vegetable oils until aromatic. Add the mushrooms and stir to coat.
- Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Splash in the soy sauce, chili oil, and rice vinegar to your taste liking.
- Drop in the wontons and simmer until warmed through.
- Top with diced green onions and enjoy!